Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Valentine Swap

Sandy over at Cookies and Cream held a Valentines Swap. This is my gift for Andrea.


Andrea likes hexagons and Reproduction Fabrics, especially browns. I will pop it in the post tomorrow with some extra goodies so it will arrive well before 14th February.

Some one just asked if I made this from a pattern. No pattern, just going with the flow. I cut a 17 1/4" piece of fabric, light weight wadding and light weight interfacing, layered and quilted 1/4" rows around the edges. Then I drew a heart on a piece of Floriani Stitch n Wash fusible and started foundation piecing around a hexagon shape in a free form manner. When finished, I left a generous 3/8" seam allowance when cutting around the heart shape so I could turn under for applique. I used Needle turn applique to attach the heart to the quilted fabric and then hand stitched the completed piece to a ready made cushion cover, turning the fabric under 1/4" as I went (yes, I cheat when I make cushions - not into zips and piping and if the cushion wears or gets damaged I remove my handy work and place on another cushion).

7 comments:

  1. Ooo, I love hearts and this is a delicious one! Lucky giftee!
    Sharyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this and will have to try one for Valentines Day. Did you think this up or did you find a pattern for this somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  3. your design is very effective and perfect for valentines day.
    I think we are so lucky to 'be Australians'. I always can imagine Judith Durham singing that song. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is darling!!! That Andrea is a lucky girl!!! And I love the colors!! Happy Australia Day!!!Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, lovely effective design, I bet she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS IS WONDERFUL. YOU ARE VERY TALENTED.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love to read my guests comments and I will try my best to reply. Please note - Your comment will not appear until approved.